Saturday, April 23, 2011

Disneyland 2011

Day 7 (Yellow Day)
*Travel Day*

Sorry, no pictures taken on Yellow Travel Day.
We arrived at the airport and would have breezed through security if Big Sister hadn't packed a giant eraser. This thing was the size of my hand. I would bet $100 she didn't use it one time while we were gone.

We got to our gate and Merlin immediately went to the ticket counter and said, "If the flight is over booked, we have 6 seats we are willing to give up." (If you give up your seat the airline gives you $400 for you next flight.) The airport worker told him, "That won't be necessary sir," and blew him off. A short time later the same worker came and asked if he was still interested in giving up a seat. Turns out they only needed one seat.

Merlin watched as I took all four kids and boarded the plane. The flight was good. The kids were good. The landing, not so much. As we approached the airport in Utah there was a storm. The air was "unsettled." The pilot started to land the plane (bump, bump, bump) and at just the last second pulled back up into the sky. The lady sitting just across the isle from me was started to get sick. We circled around for a while (bump, bump, bump) and the pilot took a second try at landing. Again, he pulled up at the last minute. Sick lady grabbed her barf bag and got ready. Circling, circling. Bump, bump, bump. I began to think about how sad it would be if we crashed and burned and Merlin would have 5 funerals to plan. At this point sick lady was able to use her barf bag. She started looking for another one. I handed her mine. Then sick lady's son started using his bag too. Baby Girl thought we were back at Disneyland on the funnest roller coaster ride ever, and was squealing in delight. I was doing my best not to hear sick lady and sick son barfing. Finally on the third attempt the pilot was able to land the plane. We didn't crash and burn. When we were safely on the ground I pulled out my wet wipes, (because I am a mom of young children and I never leave home without them) and asked sick lady and sick son if they wanted any. They were very grateful.
I somehow managed to get the four kids and all the luggage to the long term parking and make it home. Then I went back to the airport to get Merlin.

We had a great family/friend vacation!
Can't wait to do it again.


2 comments:

Shelly said...

Wow! What the heck was I doing in the picture? UGLY!!! I didn't know you came home by yourself. I'm glad you were brave enough to travel home by yourself with 4 kids. I would have been the barfing lady on the plane. :)

L. Mo said...

Shelly, did you notice how almost everyone in the picture is looking at you and not at the camera?
Awesome!