Saturday, August 1, 2009

The Best Birthday EVER!!!

How did I have the best birthday ever?
A surprise trip to New York and tickets to "Wicked" of course.

Day 1-
Flying. Can I just say people bug me. How many times do the flight attendants have to say "When you find your seat, please step in the isle so others can pass by." Come on people, get out of the way.
Cab ride. Yikes! I thought I was going to die. One the way to our hotel another cab driver cut us off, so our driver raced up and cut him off. Then they kept cutting each other off and then the other driver started using sign language to show his road rage. It was awesome. I honestly can't figure out how there are not more car accidents everywhere you go. The traffic was crazy!

Day 2-
We spent the morning walking around time square... seeing the sights and figuring out the subway.

Then it was time! Everyone told me I would love Wicked. I thought I would love it.
Love is not a strong enough word to describe how much I LOVED it. We went to the matinee show. Merlin told me we had good seats, but that was an understatement. We were dead center on row 4. Unbelievable! When the show ended, well even before it ended, I was crying. I did not want it to end. I just sat there trying to gain my composure while everyone else cleared out. I asked Merlin if he thought anyone would notice if I just stayed there until the next show started. I seriously would have stayed and watched it again.

As we walked back to our hotel it started to rain a little, then a little more, then a complete downpour. We were soaked. You can see the only dry spot on me is where I was holding my purse.

Day 3-
Tourists. We spent the day jumping on and off the "city sights" tour bus. My pictures are awesome!
We took the Staton Island ferry to see this lady. She was smaller than I imagined.

We tried to find the "Hello Deli" to say "Hi" to Rupert, but were unsuccessful.

Question: Whats behind door number one?
Answer: Our peek-a-boo shower.
The night before we went home we called home to talk to the kids. I was talking to Little Sister and told her that I got her a surprise (a hat) and it started with "H." She got really excited and said, "Is it a horse?"

Day 4-
Fly home. We were supposed to have a lay over in Atlanta. While we were waiting to board the plane they started to announce that the flight was overbooked and anyone willing to give up there seat would be re-routed and given vouchers to use on future flights. Merlin said, "We don't need to go to Atlanta, we just need to get to Salt Lake City." So he went up to the counter to talk to make the arrangements. We ended up taking two different flights, riding first class, with vouchers and getting to SLC 2 hours before our original flight. Only problem, our luggage was on our original flight. We decided we would let the airline deliver our luggage and just go home. Then we remember our car keys were in our luggage. We eventually made it home. And I immediately started making plans to see Wicked again.
Thanks to my wonderful husband for the best birthday ever! Thanks to my brother Tim & his wife and my good friend Shelly who tended our herd. Without them it would not have happened.

7 comments:

Shelly said...

I am truly so glad that I got to tend baby girl. She was so much fun. I am also glad that you got your wish. Merlin can be thoughtful sometimes. lol What a good husband!

wendy said...

I am so happy you got to go! It looks like you guys had a great, well deserved vacation!! Happy B-lated birthday to you!

Janet said...

I am jealous, yes of a trip to New York and to see Wicked, but also that Merlin had an awesome birthday for his spouse, and I definitely didn't for mine. Sounds like a great trip.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Tell everyone hello and hopefully we'll see you soon.

Unknown said...

You are one lucky girl! Glad you had fun!

The South Pasadena Dornys said...

Wow! Mer just scored major points. Good Job! (and I am going to forward this to Ammon for a little hintie hintie for a very special date coming up!

l.g. mcfifi said...

I am glad you wrote about this it was fun to read. I want a trip like that! It was fun to visit with you the other day- enjoy the rest of your summer

Julie said...

You're so lucky. What a great trip!