Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Sick Baby


On Sunday Baby Girl's nose started to run. Monday she got worse. Monday night just after I put her to bed Merlin said, "I hope she sleeps tonight." Knock on wood. She didn't sleep at all and my sweet husband didn't either. At 6:30am he finally came in to trade me. Tuesday morning her breathing sounded very labored so I took her into the doctor. After listening to her lungs, heart and running an oxygen test (83%), Doctor told me he thought that Baby Girl has the first case of RSV for the season. (Do we get a prize for that?) I then took Baby Girl to the hospital for the RSV test. Which was more invasive than I expected it to be. We wrapped her up in a blanket then the nurse squirted saline up her nostril then put a tiny catheter up her nose and suctioned out her mucus. Followed by the other nostril. As you can guess Baby Girl was not happy or cooperative. After we got home, we called home health with our address so they could delivered the prescribed oxygen Baby Girl needed. They brought 2 portable tanks so I will be able to take her to doctors appointments and such, as well as a large one for her to use at home. The large tank has a 50 foot cord so she can more around the house "freely." Whatever--my only job today has been following her around the house untangling her from the bunk bed ladder, the chair and the rolling cart in the kitchen. Every time I thought that she was content and I started doing the dishes or something, I would hear, "Mom...Mom!" Which meant "Mom, I need you I am stuck again." I guess I should not complain because although she does not like to wear the oxygen, she is leaving it on. Last night before we went to bed Doctor called to see how Baby Girl was doing. Merlin and I were shocked. But when he called this morning to see how she did in the night I was not surprised. He is such a wonderful doctor. So I am still waiting for the hospital to call to tell me if the RSV test was positive or negative.

4 comments:

L. Mo said...

I just got the call from the doctor that said the test was negative. She does not have RSV. Apartently it is just a virus. I hate that answer.

Holly said...

Oh man! That is so sad. I hope she gets better and over the "virus". At least its not RSV, right?!

Semi Granola Mom said...

Scary, I am sorry to hear you are dealing with RSV. Ryken got it at 2 weeks, so we had to take him to the hospital twice a day for a couple of weeks.
Fun to see you blog, it's crazy how many people do it these days :)
~C

Shelly said...

That brings back horrible memories of Luke and Alyson having RXV. Even if it isn't RSV, it is so scary when they don't have enough oxygen. Let us know if you need anything please.