Sunday, July 4, 2010

God Bless America

Big Sister had the opportunity of dancing in "Stadium of Fire" this year. She went to her studio three times of week for all of June to learn the routine. Then the days leading up to the performance were CRAZY! On Thursday evening she meet with the other 749 girls from 4:00-7:00 to start learning the formation of the dance. Friday's practice started at 8:30am and ended at 11:00pm (that was a fun ride home. Me and six 11 year olds driving home in my mini van with the windows rolled down and the music turned up). They had a 1hr 45 min break for lunch, then a 2 hour break for dinner and a chance to get ready for dress rehearsal. Then Saturday, the day of the performance, the final practice was from 8:00am-12:00pm. Then they had to be in place for the show by 6:15pm. I attended all the practices with her as the "parent helper." My job was to make sure the girls didn't get dehydrated or sunburned. I am happy to say that none of the 13 girls I looked after passed out. (There were many who did)
The girls were awesome. They just kept going and going, like the energizer bunny. I don't know how they did it. The choreography, that they learned at their studio, was changed so many times I lost track. I couldn't believe how they could remember all the changes. About half way through the day-long practice I thought this is insane; my feet hurt, my back hurt, my hands started developing blisters from packing the water sprayer around, it was hot... But when we got to the stadium for dress rehearsal, I realized it was all worth it. I sat there and watched the dress rehearsal, my baby dancing at LaVell Edwards Stadium, the hundreds of scouts-each holding a flag, the Army, the Navy, Air Force, Marines, the color guard, the choir, the tribute to this great country,...I was brought to tears.
I am so thankful that Big Sister got to be a part of that celebration. I feel lucky because I got to see the show three times, twice at dress rehearsal and (of course) the real thing. I have a strong love for this great country, it comes from deep within my being. I love patriotic music, I love the recognition all the men and women (past and present) get for their service. I love to see and smell the fireworks. My favorite are the ones you can feel in your chest. I love to hear the fireworks echo off the mountains. I guess it is no surprise that Independence Day is my favorite holiday.
"I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free. And I won't forget the men who died who gave that right to me."
Practice...
practice... practice...
......
My girls. (Who knows where Brother is? I can't keep track of that kid in this warm weather)
Big Sister, dance cousin & Grandma Marcia.
The famous dancer, just ask her, she will tell you.
God Bless American, my home sweet home.

No comments: