Tuesday, March 16, 2010

2nd Home


My mom is sick. She has been for years. 40 to be exact. (At least that is how long she has been diagnosed.) My children don't realize she is sick. They think all grandma's are the same as their grandma. They think it is normal to spend that much time at the hospital and that all grandmas have there own private room.

I know this because when I was little I thought everyone lived across the street from their grandparents, because I did. I thought everyone went to church, because I did.

My mom has done a good job of hiding her sickness for many, many years, but she is getting older and quite frankly she is wearing out. The last six months have been extremely hard on her. She goes to the doctor every Monday to get her blood checked and then the doctor tells her whether or not she will need transfusions that week. Which is usually every week, sometimes every other week. Then one week out of the month she gets Chemo. When she is not at the hospital or the doctor she is home in bed.

My kids love Grandmas bed. It is big and she has silky sheets. They climb right in with her, she turns on cartoons and they just lay in bed together and watch TV. This is something she is very good at ;) .

My kids love it when Grandma gets blood too, because every time she gets blood we go to the hospital to have lunch with her. Last week before we got the food I had a couple of errands to run. Brother and Baby Girl were not too happy about the errands. When I finished the errands Baby Girl asked, "Can we go to Grandmas other home now?" Mom didn't think this was as funny as I thought it was. But who can blame her. She is getting tired of all this and I think she is ready to go to her real home and see her mom and dad.

5 comments:

Head Nurse or Patient- you be the judge said...

That makes me teary. When she was my Laurel Advisor, she could only teach once a month- sometimes twice if it was timed just right. I still have my quote book that she gave me, with the poems and thoughts from her lessons written in it, and she would be happy to know that I have worked really hard to fill it all the way up.

I love your mom so much!! She has always been one of my most favorite people in the world. I must come see her soon. I will let you know when I am in town and you can tell me if it is a good day or not.

When my dad was in the hospital, and for several years after that, my oldest called the hospital Grandpa John's house.

Julie said...

I'm sorry Lez, I got teary too reading your post. I know you've been dealing with this for a long, long time. I'm glady your kids have memories of snuggling up in her silky sheets and watching cartoons. I'll be thinking of your sweet mom and hope she's doing ok.

Shelly said...

I want to cry, not only for your Mom but for you and your kids. Your mom is such a wonderful example to everyone. You and all your siblings are so good to your parents. I hope she doesn't have to suffer much longer but I also know she will be missed dearly when that time comes for her to go to our Heavenly home. I love your mom and you!

sue-donym said...

Your mom is a perfect example of a "celestial being". She has been a great example to me for 20 years.

I'm glad she has you in her life.

L. Mo said...

I didn't mean this to be such a teary post. I really just wanted to share Baby Girls comment about "Grandmas other home."
Oh well. Thanks everyone for all the love. I really appreciate it. ♥